Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Sterling Challenge

Reading my latest issue of Backyard Poultry I noticed an ad from Greenfire Farms that rather struck my fancy with its snazzy layout.  What I discovered was nothing short of inspirational.

They carry an exceptionally rare breed of chicken native to Sweden called the Hedemora that lays eggs to 5 degrees and forages to -5 degrees. Same latitude and weather conditions as...Anchorage, Alaska.

That got my attention.  I searched the net over and found out more about this very compelling breed, and found a lot to like.  And a lot to think about.

What if we can one up the Swedes by developing a bird in Alaska that not only lays in cold climates, but lays exceptionally rich chocolate shelled eggs, and is a larger-better eating bird?

Of course, I immediately rang my favorite breeder, Tori Yancy at Sterling Meadows Hatchery, and suggested we develop a breed we call the Sterling.

When I visited Tori last week she showed me a splash Orphington hen that was nothing short of wonderful.  She was gentle, soft, fluffy, and beautiful.  Orphingtons have a unique body shape, and small combs that are less likely to get frostbitten.  Ring any "foundation stock" bells?  Sterling roses are a blue lavender color and smell exceptionally sweet, why shouldn't Sterling chickens be the same way?

I put some money down on an order for the Alaska Hamptons.  I want Sterlings to be our signature bird, and carry a flock of 50 or so breeding stock to launch the breed.  Tori has agreed in concept to take up the challenge, warning that it will take several years to perfect the Sterling Special.  Currently, Buckeyes are the only bird breed credited to being developed by a woman - today we are starting out on changing that. You heard it here first!

2 comments:

Stormdrane said...

They look nice, but I wonder how do the chickens taste? Gamey?

Anonymous said...

Haha! Great minds think alike! I just found your blog from searching for more info on Hedemora chickens. I live in Sutton. ;) I'm looking forward to getting some foundation Hedemoras next spring, and hope to add them to my mix of my own Ultimate Alaskan Chicken, as well as keeping a pure flock.