Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Plagiarism Apply to Blogs?

Anonymous Reader writes: Just curious, shouldn't you mention that this blog post was just a copy and paste of a recycled, anonymous email that's been making the rounds on the net? Do the ethics of plagiarism apply to blogs?

Other than the deceiving "original" posts, I like your site.


Dorene replies: Thanks for asking about that. When I make a direct lift from a media source, I always acknowledge it - see Ooh, Gwitch'in Woman and Seward Drugs on Auction Block.

When I am sent a piece from one individual I always give them credit in the title - see Beckie sez Don't Mess with a Mule and Dona Walker reports Girls Night Out. The Two Georges piece I received from several folks, so I figured it was floating in the public domain and did not give them credit for sending it to me. (Happy Bunny Betty was the first on the Bush joke, wonder if she is going to submit it to Maxium...)

I do not spend the time researching who was the first person to ever suggest such a thing, true, but I do give credit to the source where I got the material from. So I am not feeling that I am trying to deceive by taking credit for a piece that I didn't write.

Glad you are enjoying my blog, and I appreciate your comments and concerns. Keep them coming.

1 comment:

The Humanity Critic said...

good post. Just passing through, cool blog by the way.