Saturday, August 13, 2005

Moulin Rouge


This movie moves so fast in the editing the first time I saw it I came out with a headache. I forced myself to sit through a second showing so that my brain had a chance to process it just out of pure spite - because I hate musicals. After five or six viewings it locked Baz Luhrmann in as one of my favorite directors. If we could only talk him into doing more Shakespeare.

The costumes and sets are divine, the soundtrack clever. I want to see more of the dancing, bring on the dancing girls. The tango scene wets my appetite for the spot-on choreography. And lets us not forget the Romeo & Juliet relationship taken to another level with Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor. Glad to see the John Leguizamo as Toulouse-Lautrec. Clever, funny, have to admit to quick-witted and fast-paced for me to keep up with - isn't that refreshing. Thank you Craig Pearce. A brilliant piece of work, not for lazy viewing.

No comments: