Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Seriously? Sarah Palin: BRAzen is too...brazen?


Sarah Palin: BRAzen.  No longer a hibernating sow, this "Wide Awake Grizzly" has got her bling on and is ready to take on the world.  Inspired by former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin.  Features "Awake" tea bags supporting faux grizzly fur cups trimmed in rhinestones, velvet, and satin.

There was a considerable amount of time between when I wrote my description of the BRAzen bra and the time it was shown in the Wild Bras on Parade, a benefit for Casting for Recovery, a non-profit that supports survivors of breast cancer.

It seemed odd to me that in the marketing of the piece by CFR my description had been seriously altered...the "Sarah Palin" words had been removed - which kinda changes the whole point of the piece.  Out of context the art makes no sense, and as an artist, I look randomly foolish.  It is unseemly.

Never in a million years would I consider my bra, and its description "offensive" - just don't see how it could go there.  Empowering, yes.  Compelling, yes.  Provocative, yes.  Funny, yes - especially since it is faux fur.  Offensive?  Seriously, offensive?

Yet, apparently, that is how it is viewed by the decision makers at Casting for Recovery.  It was suggested that it be shown at my Sarah Palin: Tease art show this week, Bella Coley was going to wear it and walk around with the silent auction bidding sheet working up the donations for this cause.

That idea came to a screeching halt fast.  Now if they had said that it wasn't their policy, that once the art bras were handed over they were theirs, and they liked to keep them together as a show I would be very respectful of that, and the matter would have been done with - no complaints from me.  Well, they did say that actually, and I respect that.

Problem is, that isn't all that they said.  Read it for yourself if you don't believe me - I have attached an excerpt of the offending letter below.  Frankly, I am in the odd space of being offended because someone suggested that my artwork, which was intended to be uplifting, was, in fact, offensive.

My tender feelings are hurt.  As an artist I feel suppressed, censored, my voice squelched.  I feel like I have been treated poorly, for even though Martha's letter was very well crafted and polite - the point of her matter was...offensive.

Now I am sure that there are those who will say that I am over reacting, and maybe I am.  But I get to own my feelings, and if this is how I feel, this is how I feel, and no one can take that away from me.  Same way that I can't take away how Martha feels offended by BRAzen.

So where does that leave us?  I haven't decided yet, other than I am no longer interested in participating in any of their retreats of fundraisers in the future.  What do you think?

Dorene


...It is very important to our organization we not take a political position or any position which might exclude anyone from considering participating in our retreats.

It is important Casting for Recovery is viewed as a program for everyone, without any affiliation to other politics or causes – the purpose for our art event is to establish an image in the community more than to make money to operate our retreats.

We are aware 1) by choosing our particular theme we are using a bit of a racy event to gain attention and 2) we respect the expression of art in the community is best uncensored.  However, we feel we need to stay true to our purposes and plans too – of being inclusive of everyone and trying hard not to offend. ...
I hope these comments will help you understand why we will not permit the use of Bra-Zen as you proposed.  The artwork has been donated to Casting for Recovery to be used at our discretion.  I’m sure your best intentions are that our organization realize its goals and purposes. ...

I look forward to continuing to include you and your friends in supporting Casting for Recovery events.  As we plan for next year’s event, we invite you to propose a new direction for our consideration.

Most sincerely,  Martha

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I read the letter from Martha and do not see anything wrong with what was said. It seems that Casting for Recovery just wants to keep their donation of the bra "theirs" - and to be sure there are no political ties or anything that might exclude people from wanting to participate in the CFR events. Perhaps it is just a misunderstanding of words. When things are written the feeling is lost. I'm sure this can be worked out without trying to hurt an organization that truly tries to do something good for survivors of breast cancer. I did not read that Martha is offended by your bra. What would be offensive is the bra in the context of politics to some people.

Dorene Lorenz said...

The problem is that when you change the context of a work of art, you can completely change the meaning of the art. BRAzen was not made to look just look pretty, it had a strong voice. To remove that voice is censorship.

This piece was specifically and purposely created to make a political statement. That was made clear when it was submitted, and accepted by Casting for Recovery.

If it didn't meet the requirements of their activity, they shouldn't have taken it. It is dishonest and hurtful.

Joey Brockhouse said...

An artist should never be censored. As an artist I would burn a work before allowing it to be displayed in public with any changes that I didn't agree with. I vote no change or don't participate again.